Pelicans Report

Thread: NBA Broadcasts Question

Rookie

NBA Broadcasts Question

Does every team's broadcast crew always shoot their own video? Or is it the case that sometimes there is just one video feed and each team's broadcast consists of their audio over this common video.

I am hoping someone with league pass can answer this question for me. I get NBA TV and I really enjoy getting to see the broadcasts from the different teams, and it occurred to me that perhaps sometimes (or maybe even all the time) they use the same video but just control their own audio and graphics.

I kind of think this must not usually be the case because I have heard the hornets broadcast guys refer to the camera people as their own, and I think I have even seen the CST logo on the cameras (then again maybe that is only at home and they use the host teams video when they go on the road, seems they could save a lot of production cost if they didn't have to cart all that extra stuff to every road game)

Somebody know the answer to this?
    Hugo Rocks!

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    My observation of it is that the NBATV games are usually feeds taken from a local team. For example, we just had the Hornets-Clippers game. If you watched the game on FSN in So.Cal., you got all the FSN graphics, etc., but if you watched the NBATV version, you got their graphics. I am sure this is resolved by software. NBA TV will even let you use an NBA TV mic pre and post-game, to make it look like an NBATV original broadcast, but I haven't seen an NBA TV original game broadcast yet. With the Clippers game, Ralph Lawler (Clippers TV guy), gave a shout out to all those watching on NBA TV.

As for whether CST and FSN, if both are there, are using the same video, I am not sure. I suspect they might be due to physical constraints in shooting the game. No reason to double up on the tech stuff. When there is a break, such as at the Half, then each production branches off on it's own with it's own camera. This is when you see Jordy on the sidelines or the play-by-play/color guys breaking things down before the start of play.

Just my guess on that.

Time for some football!!!

Outlandishly Optimistic... 2poor's Avatar
    NBATV leeches the RSN's broadcast, beyond that, all RSN's do their own brodcast. I have league pass here in Michigan and I rarely get the Hornets broadcast. For the Nuggets games I watch though, 90% of the time I get their broadcast on Altitude.

Not sure if that answers your question, but there ya go!
    Never looking back...or too far in front of me - the present is a gift, and I just wanna BEE.

Thread Information