Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: On campus football stadium at Tulane?

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman
    New stadium rumors heated up again this afternoon on Kaare's show on WIST. Talk of an 80-100 million dollar stadium initiative being up for a vote soon. This would be an on campus, multi use stadium with a retractable roof.
    i've been mentioning a multi use stadium for a while. makes a lot of sense. would be nice if they would be able to play basketball there also similar to the syracuse setup.

i have some inside tulane info, that is usually reliable, and i have heard it is approved, but with tulane there is always a chance that it could be shot down.......meaning its approved to move forward, but it for some reason it is said to be unreasonable it will stop.

my problem is with the lack of offical announcement. Why wouldnt you want people to be able to donate to the cause. Start a program where you buy football seaosn tickets now, you get priority in the new stadium, etc....I buy baseball tickets because we built a nice new stadium and we are decent. cant they see the success. 2,500 tonight against st marys, while the ncaa tourny is on. Do decent and people will be there.

This is the third time I have heard this is good to go. Should be interesting.

Also, the SEC wont take us back. I think the Big 12 or ACC is the viable option if we get our act together. One aspect ignored is Scott Cowen, Anti-BCS.....Dont think he wants to make his point?

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Who Dat 3
    my problem is with the lack of offical announcement. Why wouldnt you want people to be able to donate to the cause. Start a program where you buy football seaosn tickets now, you get priority in the new stadium, etc....I buy baseball tickets because we built a nice new stadium and we are decent. cant they see the success. 2,500 tonight against st marys, while the ncaa tourny is on. Do decent and people will be there.

That would be a great idea to generate revenue and gauge interest and it's silly if they don't do it. I think there are tons of people in the city and surrounding area that would definitely look into Tulane tickets in a new/more close-knit stadium on campus that was more conducive to tailgating and such than the Dome. Moreover, students could simply walk there on game days.

i am a big lsu fan but would go to a few games if they built an on campus stadium

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Students being able to walk to the games would change everything. That was the problem facing Minnesota, and the main reason for building a smallish on campus stadium. The appeal of playing in the Superdome has outlived it's usefulness. Times have changed and it's time Tulane did this.

A new stadium is not going to turn everything around immediately, but it will be a start. You might not see a huge increase in attendance right away but I bet more students go to games.

Quote Originally Posted by bandogo
    i am a big lsu fan but would go to a few games if they built an on campus stadium
    Exactly. It's sort of like -- and no offense to Tulane -- a minor league sports team or something. If the tickets were reasonable it gives people around the city a chance to see some live football on Saturday. And not just students could walk there, anyone living within half a mile radius of the stadium could do it, too -- the benefit of being in the middle of a residential area as opposed to downtown.

I would think the Saints would be willing to lend some money for its construction with a clause allowing them to use it in the event another Katrina situation happened and it suffered less damage than the Dome. Obviously it would be much smaller (probably only seat about 40k or so) but a much better logistical option than Baton Rogue and definitely better than San Antonio.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 03-21-2010 at 06:50 PM.

All-Louisiana Sports Fan! Jetstorm's Avatar
    Hmmmmmm.....one leak, you dismiss as random and unofficial. Two leaks of the same nature though? Makes you think under that smoke, there is a fire.

The commitment that I spoke of doesn't just extend to facilities (although supposedly that will be a part of it) but also a commitment for Tulane to actually take it's athletic program seriously. To adopt a more realistic student/athlete model (eased up admission standards, athletic-friendly courses of study, an academic support and tutoring program similar to LSU's Cox Center) so that Tulane can get the athletes it needs to be a legitimate competitor in Division I football and basketball. Not to dismiss facilities, that will be a huge part of it, and I'm sure Tulane will address it. But an on-campus football stadium really isn't Tulane's most pressing need, because the Superdome isn't really the worst problem of the football program right now. Much more than that, Tulane needs a new basketball arena/multi-purpose assembly center, an indoor practice facility, a practice facility for the basketball team, and improved track facilities. But the financial commitment and modifying the academic constraints is more key.

The goal is not merely to get Tulane to the point where they get to the NIT in basketball and the New Orleans Bowl in football (although that would be magnificent improvement over what they have now). The goal is to have basketball back at the level of the Perry Clark days, winning CUSA titles and going deep into the NCAA Tournament year after year. Memphis proved it could be done, and that's what they want to do. The goal for football is at a minimum, to be a perennial contender for C-USA titles and major 2nd tier bowls, optimally, to go undefeated like 1998 and go to a BCS bowl ala Boise State and Utah, and ultimately, to be the next Miami (ideally without all the thuggery and shenanigans by some players off the field). With the football talent that comes out of New Orleans and South Louisiana every year, I don't think it's that farfetched. That level of commitment to program building, I have heard, is legitimately on the table. Will it happen? I'm not sure. But the fact that this is even being seriously considered at Tulane, seven years after a faction at that university tried to kill their athletic program altogether, and five years after Katrina almost destroyed it, is amazing.

I hope they can make it happen.
    "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, and whose hope is in the Lord." (Jeremiah 19:9)

Great post JetStorm. Thanks for the insight.

A winning athletic program pays for itself 10 times over by virtue of increased Alumni donations - and increased admission applications. Can point to hundreds of examples, but just this week, St. Mary's College is getting a huge boost on both fronts due to its Men's basketball program playing in the Sweet Sixteen.

It would be a great thing to see the Green Wave back and competitive again.

when is the official announcement expected

no time frame. originally they had planned a march announcement (when i say original, I mean this time around. we have been waiting for announcements for about 2 years). other web sites have even had stoires with news of basketball arena and both dickerson and dickson were quoted.

But they are holding off on an announcement for two reasons. The football stadium was a late entry into all of this and it was actually approved (approved to push forward with plans, not build just yet). So I would still expect an announcement on the basketball/v-ball facility, which may or may not be tied in with a football stadium. they also want funding to be advanced.

as of right now they are basically getting everything organized and lined up. why announce a bball arena and facility now, and then a month later announce a football stadium. they want to do it right.

i just hope they make one so that fundraising can get under way, and the fans wont get jerked around

If I was a Tulane student/fan, this would be awesome. But I go to LSU and would hate for this to happen. We have in-state recruiting locked up and Tulane improving their facilities would hurt us. Sounds like this all still conjecture and Tulane, especially in recent years, has not shown much in the way of wanting to improve athletics.

If it did happen I'd definitely go to a game. I love college football. Also, if it did happen they had better name it the Sugar Bowl. That would be pretty sweet

Quote Originally Posted by robbiesqp
    If I was a Tulane student/fan, this would be awesome. But I go to LSU and would hate for this to happen. We have in-state recruiting locked up and Tulane improving their facilities would hurt us. Sounds like this all still conjecture and Tulane, especially in recent years, has not shown much in the way of wanting to improve athletics.

If it did happen I'd definitely go to a game. I love college football. Also, if it did happen they had better name it the Sugar Bowl. That would be pretty sweet
    Tulane being good or at least getting there would help LSU in a way.

Sure, LSU would have some competition, but it's not like the best of the best will choose Tulane over LSU. All it will do is make the state overall better and that's good for everyone.

I'm still upset over LSU dropping the Tulane game. We don't have to get into here, it's not the place, but I thought it was wrong.

*LSU grad who grew up in a Tulane family, I cheer for Tulane over LSU. I know, I'm the scum of the earth.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robbiesqp

Top tier athletes who don't choose LSU are much more likely to choose other SEC schools or PAC-10, Big 12, etc. than Tulane.
    Last edited by NIH; 04-09-2010 at 04:23 PM.
    President of the New Orleans Bucs Rebrand Campaign

Exactly. The only SEC school that Tulane competes for recruits with is probably Vanderbilt. Outside of the SEC you're talking schools like Rice, etc.

LSU did itself a world of good finally putting together a respectable program. In the 90s local were fleeing to the Big 10, Big 12, and other SEC schools. When Saban came in and started a culture of winning LSU has had it's pick of the best in state talent.

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    LSU did itself a world of good finally putting together a respectable program. In the 90s local were fleeing to the Big 10, Big 12, and other SEC schools. When Saban came in and started a culture of winning LSU has had it's pick of the best in state talent.
    saban did a good job but you have to give credit to dinardo for getting the program back on track and being relevant and keeping good players in state. i'll never forget the independence bowl where dinardo's lsu beat nick sabans michigan state coached team.

until tulane commits to their athletics in all aspects things will continue to go as they have. another thing is that the football program while not spectacular was decent and made bowl games. losing those big name universities to the big east hurt the conference from a talent standpoint overall and weakened it to mid major. conference usa was well on its way to becoming larger than a mid major with the rivalries being formed and its teams being successful in football, basketball, and baseball. they had teams like louisville, cincinnati, marquette, depaul, st louis, tcu. basketball wise and getting to the ncaa tournament was the strength of the league. they have fallen off bigtime from those days.

C-USA was hurt by losing those teams, and those teams did capitalize on moving up. I'm surprised by the rise of the Sun Belt. Those teams have gotten good fast, it's really impressive compared to just 5 years ago.

Tulane's rebuilding process will be a long one, but it can be done. The state and region has a lot of talent, Tulane could start attracting those kids again ... but it will be a long process.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf...ampus_foo.html

The blueprints keep churning out at Tulane.

On the heels of announcing construction of a state-of-the-art practice facility for basketball and volleyball that will begin June 1, the Green Wave athletic department is considering plans for another project.

A 25,000- to 35,000-seat on-campus football stadium is in the works, and if the funds are secured, the facility will be built on the existing football practice field, according to a source close to the athletic department as well as longtime Tulane supporter Scott Slatten. The stadium and practice facility will mirror each other in a catty-corner stance between the Wilson Center and the Reily Center and a game-day pavilion is included in the set of plans the university is reviewing, Slatten said.

A significant amount of money already has been raised for the facility, which is pegged at about $60 million, according to a source. Once funded, the project is expected to take at least three years to complete.

Finally some sort of announcement besides 690 am. However, I still have a problem with this. Or I actually have 2 problems.

1) We are still not able to help the funding. why cant they say, we are $30 million short. If you buy football season tickets now. you reserve your seats for a new stadium. And you must also make X amount donation each year. Seems simple enough. So fundraising will remain difficult and slower than it should.

2) Why can the public not see a plan. we hear of a basketball/volleyball practice facility, and now a football stadium....to be located in the same spot essentailly. So is it all going to be connected? A sports complex with a "place to tailgate"??? or will they be seperate. what about the renovations to fogleman we have heard about for years?

Dont get me wrong, I am very excited, but it seems tulane is still finding a way to make it difficult.

Since Tulane is a private university they don't have to release plans or anything. The more funding they get through university channels, the more control they have over the projects.

I read the article this morning and it was great news. Let Tulane take all the time they need, do it right.

I have some more information here. Malcolm Glazer will be the person to get this done. He has some business dealings that must go through first, but once they do.....I am told he will basically make a donation that puts funding in place for almost everything.

If this is the case, expect the stadium or field to be named after the Glazers. The information I have is that the funding for everything could be in place WAYYYY ahead of what is expected. Meaning, possibly this year all fudning could be in place.

Of course, I take all this with a grain of salt, since it is Tulane and we seem to do everything slow.

Thread Information